Orlando security follow-up - ISC
  • SubhedgehogSubhedgehog

We need to follow up with the goings on in the stands down in Orlando. That's the first time I've heard a whole group express dissatisfaction and fear due to lack of security presence or reaction. Even in San Jose, with similar threats and behaviour, security was visibly involved and active in what was happening. That does not seem to be the case here and we cannot just let it go.

We should reach out to Steve, Kris, Francisco & others that were down there to speak to them in person, and have @KayBee follow up with the league and OCSC to ensure that the issue gets visibility within those organizations.

Who wants to do what? Kyle, do you want to handle it? Or maybe @chauchi09 can communicate with the members & other travelers involved? I can provide email addresses, etc, or act as point via email if needed.

Post edited by Subhedgehog at 2015-03-24 17:21:23
    Paul, VSS Member #557, Section 252 behind the drum
  • ophioliteophiolite

Agreed with this. We should also involve our ISC reps. This can't go unchallenged.

I suggest asking Rebecca to take the lead on this, as she is an ISC rep as well as having the history of dealing with security on away trips in the past.

Joann Bessler, GA Section. Member #631.
  • spurcapspurcap

Agreed. And FYIW I think Rebecca mentioned saying something on the ISC front.

aka: Josh, Former Southside Treasurer, Member #947
  • 64Chevelle64Chevelle

I can help in whatever way; just tell me what I can do.

Rob Wheeler
    SS Member #670, Section 252, Row L, Seats 3, 4, 5 & 6
    twitter: @rmrgcb
  • SubhedgehogSubhedgehog

@KayBee - Can you share with us what details were shared re: security before the match? Was there a security call at all or did you just deal with a ticket rep?

• SubhedgehogSubhedgehog

PurplePrideAway on twitter reached out to provide some names at OCSC. @KayBee not sure if you have their contact info already?

PurplePrideAway said:

I wanted to give you info regarding the teams contact for guest experience so they know. Her name is Lauren Voorhis. We want this to STOP.

Alex Wolf is also a team contact that deals with issues like this.

• KayBeeKayBee

Hey, I've reached out to Kristjan and Steve to try to get details of what happened. Right now, all I have are quick tweets and vague descriptions of what happened.

Pre-match, my contact and I had discussed an "Away Section" that would be "monitored". She had stated that they would be following similar protocol to what they did during NYCFC's match two weeks' prior, but we didn't get into the details

On the day in question, we reached out to her but did not get an answer. We've left a message that hasn't been returned.

I'll follow up with the names you've provided (from PurplePrideAway) once I have statements from our traveling membership

Also, I don't have any contacts at the league -- not sure if any Board members from years gone by do, but if not, I'll have to reach out to our FO and try to establish those connections. I'll reach out to our FO anyway to discuss what happened, though I'm not sure if we have an "Away Security contact"

I also briefly traded messages with Rebecca, and we want the ISC to be involved in this, regarding both what happened and what all memberships groups of the ISC should be able to expect from the Front Offices around the league.

As I get updates, I'll share them with everyone

• SubhedgehogSubhedgehog

Was the discussion re: a monitored away section via email or phone? It would be nice to have the original wording if it was by email. Certainly sounds like promises are being made without much in the way of ops plans to back them up.

• KayBeeKayBee

It was made via phone -- and it was made with the ticketing person. She had said she would confirm with Security and reply back. We did e-mail her on Thursday before the match, asking again for the match-day contact and providing Kristjan's contact info. We'll forward that e-mail off to the board

As well, we've e-mailed every member who purchased a match ticket through us to get their feedback / experience of what occurred. The more, the better

• danimaldanimal

I've had a couple media requests on the incident. I'm able to answer most of their questions. The one I want to confirm is, What is our desired outcome?

I assume it is basically that Orlando sorts out the security in the away section so that fans of all visiting teams can feel safe there.

Is there anything else?

Dan Olson - UBC Engineering @danmathias +daniel.m.m.olson -- VS#598
  • 64Chevelle64Chevelle

FREE TICKETS TO DISNEYWORLD!!!!@#$@+@$&$-@)@&#)$-$?@

But seriously, no, I think that's all we want. At least that's all I want. It'd be nice to see the douche-canoe that caused the problems banned, but I don't think we can hold out for that.

Edited to remove the beer spelling.

Post edited by 64Chevelle at 2015-03-23 21:09:29
    Rob Wheeler
    SS Member #670, Section 252, Row L, Seats 3, 4, 5 & 6
    twitter: @rmrgcb
  • xczimixczimi

Note, I created a new category and role so I can allow Rebecca to see this Thread.

AKA Peter spillt his beer - President / Secretary / Director of Away Travel / ISC rep / IT Crowd Committee - member #124 - BC Place Section 251 Row F 101 --- http://www.xczimi.com
  • ophioliteophiolite

Thanks Peter.

Joann Bessler, GA Section. Member #631.
  • bahbah

Thanks!Just wanted to add some things based on prior experiences.

Generally we are given a sales rep whose job is similar to Josh with the Whitecaps. They will liaise with their operations and security contacts, and develop a plan for the game. Depending on the number of people travelling and the experiences of the home club, they'll either a) have a proper security plan, and call with ticketing, security and sometimes local police; or b) not have a formal plan in place, but have security measures in place (I.e extra support in our area).

Last year we had a miscommunication with RSL that led to a pseudo - mixed section, but we rectified it prior to the game by pre-emptively talking to the people around us. There were ushers nearby, but security was harder to find. The reason I bring this us is because Josh from the Caps was there, and did little to help us out.

Our FO will not step in to help with security unless it is Cascadia. They are happy to put it on us, so maybe the time has come that we put pressure on them to at least check in with their contacts prior to the game. Fergal always wanted to know if people were going, and how many were going so he could communicate that accordingly. Maybe it's time to ask the Caps to do that again. While Orlando may be an isolated incident, our FO does need to help us out.

The things that I think we need to sort out are: - timeline of the entire thing: pre/during/post match - who and what are we releasing to the FO(s), media, supporters

FWIW, pressuring MLS is best done by ISC. I would recommend that the Southsiders as a group deal with OCSC, and let ISC contact the MLS/issue a release a la ACB.

Thoughts?

• danimaldanimal

Sounds like a good strategy.

Have formally contacted OCSC yet? When we do, I would love a copy that I can share with interested media.

Dan Olson - UBC Engineering @danmathias +daniel.m.m.olson -- VS#598
  • KayBeeKayBee

Hey guys, Just a follow-up on this:

I received Iain Allen's accounting of the events, and Francisco said he'd give us his later today.

Sounds like it was just one guy that security did a poor job of dealing with. If more comes up, I'll detail it in the thread

I think we should push OCSC to have clear communication / responsibilities to protect the traveling fans

I think another end goal of this (maybe more lofty) is that each MLS team have a Match Day point of contact for the person in charge of away supporters' security. The most frustrating this about this experience for me was trying in vain to hunt down a phone number of someone in Orlando to call to deal with this / get an answer. Instead, I called numbers and got voicemails, and tweeted the official account, which didn't acknowledge anything.

To follow up with OCSC, I am willing to be our point person (unless I'm stepping on Dan's toes as our External Comms person). Is E-mail really the best venue for this? I know we get the official record, but given my track record with them, I don't think we are likely to see a response

Thoughts?

• bahbah

Teams generally do have an away point of contact. It just sounds like OCSC does not have one in place, which is probably a good thing to recommend to them when this is all said and done.

As for contacting them, I'd put together a letter and mail/email a variety of their front office reps - whoever the OCSC equivalent is of Bobby, Rachel et al.

if we don't hear back, we can put that in the ISC release too. If you can forward me whatever you have from the travellers, I can start working with isc

Post edited by bah at 2015-03-24 17:19:45

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion